Software Engineering Manager
Job Title: Software Engineering Manager
TR Ref: 13531
Location: Buckinghamshire, but mostly remote working
This highly regarded, PE-backed software company are expanding, at pace, and now need a Software Engineering Manager to lead an impressive team of 10 (Developers and a Data Engineer), based in the UK and Europe.
You will need to be technically capable to understand what your team is working on and to make/support critical tech decisions, but your time will be more focused on ensuring the engagement, well-being and productivity of your team.
You will need a thorough knowledge of software engineering principles and a methodical problem-solving mindset along with a genuine passion for high-quality software, whilst appreciating the balance between the art of design and the craft of engineering. You will understand the difference between effectiveness and productivity, pragmatism and process, and that there is a balance to be found.
To succeed in this role this you will need to:
- Recruit and develop the very best Software Engineers into your team, giving them all they need to succeed, whilst also working with peer leaders to help shape and develop world-class product and tech teams.
- Conduct regular 1:1s to understand priorities, ensure well-being, review performance, assess skills gaps etc
- Establish personal development plans for each team member
- Champion Continuous Improvement, for both tech and people
- Work closely with Scrum Masters, Product Owners, Test Engineers and the UX team
- Plan resource strategically, ensuring you have people with the right skills and resources in place to achieve our client’s ambitious product delivery targets, whilst also supporting peers doing the same
- Use your technical expertise to inform both operational and strategic decisions
- Support their ScrumKan approach to accelerate product development
- Build internal training material and manage third party skills development and certifications.
- Foster effective technical discussions between team members
- Support vendor and partner management
Whilst your knowledge of modern software design and engineering principles is more important than specific coding languages and tools, their tech stack (just FYI) is currently centred around C#, .NET core, React/Angular, Azure and RESTful APIs, using Git, Kubernetes, Docker, CI/CD tooling, TDD and TestCafe/Cypress for test automation
This really is a remarkable opportunity for a Software Development Manager / Software Engineering Manager looking to further their career in a rapidly expanding company, where you will be working with a great bunch of talented software and product engineers, with a leadership team that genuinely puts their people at the centre of everything they do.
They operate a hybrid working model which means you can work from home as often as you like, as long as you and your team remain effective. However, preference is likely to be shown to those who are happy visiting their offices (in Bucks or central London) every week or so.
Along with a competitive base salary you will also get a car allowance, bonus, Private Medical Insurance, Health Cashplan, subsidised gym membership, life assurance and a range of other benefits, including being able to buy additional holiday (25->30 days/yr) and finishing early on Friday’s during the summer